Welcome to the industry’s learning resource library for underground storage tank owners and operators. We’ve gathered the best links over the years and are happy to share them with you.
Free Video Training
Feel free to watch and share these videos about USTs. Some are serious, some are funny, and all help us remember to always be the best UST operator out there.
- Our very popular Tank Savvy Minute videos
- UST accident videos
- UST Inspection videos
- Humorous UST videos
PEI Inspection Forms
Use these free forms after class to document that you are keep your UST system and dispensers in top shape. Each complete document is also available for purchase. Thanks to Petroleum Equipment Institute for sharing them with the public:
- PEI RP 900- UST Inspection and Maintenance Checklists
- PEI RP 500- Dispenser Inspection and Maintenance
- PEI RP 1200- Testing and Verification of Spill, Overfill, Leak Detection and Secondary Containment Equipment at UST Facilities
- PEI Wiki – Find the definition to any UST term
Useful EPA UST Publications
Use the following useful publications to help operate, manage and maintain your UST system.
- Operating And Maintaining UST Systems: Practical Help And Checklists (Ben Thomas helped author in 2001)
- UST Systems: Inspecting And Maintaining Sumps And Spill Buckets – Practical Help And Checklist
- Automatic Tank Gauging Systems For Release Detection: Reference Manual
- Best Management Practices For USTs In Indian Country
- Operation And Maintenance Logos
You may download and use these logos to promote good UST operation and maintenance.
- Underground Storage Tank Flood Guide
- Introduction To Statistical Inventory Reconciliation For Underground Storage Tanks
- UST Performance Measures (State by state)
UST Training Online Class A/B Courses
Listing of Class A/B UST operator training courses:
Free State Online Courses
Free online training courses offered by various state agencies:
- Montana DEQ Tankhelper2*
- Tennessee DE&C “Tank Helper“
- Oklahoma OCC Online UST Operator Training
- South Carolina DHEC Class A/B UST Operator Training
- North Carolina DENR Class A/B UST Operator Training
- Maine DEP TankSmart*
- Idaho Tank Helper* (No link yet)
- Indiana DEM UST Class A/B Operator Training
- Kentucky TOOLS*
- North Dakota Online Training
* Developed by Ben Thomas and/or UST Training members
Leak Detection Tools
Become a better operator with knowledge of leak detection problems:
- KWA Leak List (Ken Wilcox Associates)
- KWA Virtual Tank Gauge and Tank Calculator (Ken Wilcox Associates)
- Automatic Tank Gauging (in English) Nice overview of the ATG from the Washington Department of Ecology.
- Automatic Tank Gauging (in Hindi) Nice overview of the ATG from the Washington Department of Ecology.
- Warren Rogers Associates PetroNetwork™-S3 Continual Reconciliation System (good for up to 2.7 million gallons monthly throughput leak detection)
Stage I vapor recovery has a big impact on the health and operation of UST systems:
- Puget Sound Clean Air Authority A great collection of Stage I vapor recovery rules, videos and technical assistance documents.
Safety and Emergency Response
- UST Training’s Emergency Response Placard (download, print, fill in, laminate, post)
- Oregon Office of the State Fire Marshal Cardlock Program
- PEI Stop Static Campaign
- Assessing USTs for Earthquake Damage (CA)
- UST System Flood Guide (EPA)
We’ve got 21st century fuels in 20th century tanks. Are you ready for the conversion?
- Biofuels Compendium This great EPA resource provides information on storing ethanol and biodiesel fuels.
- UST Component Compatibility Library PEI offers this great resource to make sure you know which parts of the UST system are compatible with alternative fuels.
- STI’s Keeping Water Out of Your Storage System.
Petroleum, C-store and UST associations with tons of great resources:
- Petroleum Equipment Institute (member)
- Steel Tank Institute
- American Petroleum Institute
- National Association of Convenience Stores
- National Institute for Storage Tank Management
- Oregon Fuels Association (member and reseller)
- Colorado Wyoming Petroleum Marketers Association (member)
- Asian American Convenience Store Association
- Mississippi Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Stores Association (Class C Reseller)
- National Association of Shell Marketers
Sign up for these UST resource-rich journals:
- PEI Tulsa Letter
- Thompson Publishing
- USTTraining News
- NACS Daily
- National Petroleum News Market Pulse
Follow the best and brightest in the UST education business, our team and associates:
- Ben Thomas Associates
- Marcel Moreau Associates
- Purpora Engineering
- Protanic, Inc.
- Global Environmental Alliance
- USTandC (John Kneece)
- CQE Systems (Rich Bradley)
- Green Reviews (Amelia Janisz)
- Northwest Corrosion Engineering (Jeremy Hailey)
- Kevin Henderson Consulting LLC (email only)
- Las Americas Petroleum Services (Frank Aquino and Deborah Caban)
UST Inspectors Resources
Welcome to the industry’s learning resource library for underground storage tank inspectors. We’ve gathered the best links over the years and are happy to share them with you.
- ASTSWMO Operator Training Resource Guide (PDF) Excellent compendium of how each state is approaching the operator training initiative.
- UST Operator Training Overview of the national program
- Corrective Action Measures by State Significant Operational Compliance state by state over time. How did your state do?
- State Delivery Prohibition Programs States with “red tag” programs and how they do it.
- 40 CFR 280 UST Technical Rules
- Proposed changes to the UST regulations
- UST Technical Compendium of Policies and Interpretations Explaining the gray areas of the rules.
- List of State UST Web Sites Easily find your state UST program web page.
- Underground Storage Tank Flooding Guide
- UST Performance Measures (State by state)
The New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission (NEIWPCC) has been helping UST experts nationwide since the 1980’s. Sign up for the quarterly newsletter. Here are some articles by UST Training staff:
- Current Issue
- Previous Issues
- Operator Training Has Left the Station
- Baffled by a Leak? Check the Inventory Record
- LUSTLine Bulletin 65 June 2010
- I Don’t Train; I Enforce!
- Class C Operator Saves the Day When Dogs Drive Van into Dispenser
Speed up your inspections with the following tools:
- Automatic Tank Gauge Monitoring and Line Leak Detection Reference Manual (EPA, Region 7) A smart, simple web-based field guide for ATG monitors.
- Automatic Tank Gauging Systems for Release Detector Reference Guide for UST Inspectors (EPA) This awesome guide of the major ATG makes and models is an indispensable tool for any UST inspector to become an expert ATG inspector.
- ATG Quick Reference (WI) The State of Wisconsin created this great “cheat sheet” of the highlights of third party certification criteria. Download this and save having to drag around your 500 page NWGLDE book when inspecting.
- ALLD Quick Reference (WI) Same this as above but for electronic and mechanical line lead detectors.
- SIR Quick Reference (WI) Save thing as above but for Statistical Inventory Reconciliation.
- National Work Group on Leak Detection Evaluation (NWGLDE)
- California SWRCB Acceptable Leak Detection Equipment for E-85
- California SWRCB Acceptable Leak Detection Equipment for Biodiesel